Skip to main content

Duggar for a day: the experiment

My boys are good boys...most of the time.  But there are days (we all have them) when I am a mere mouse-click away from posting their pics and profiles on Ebay and auctioning them off to the first nut-job bidder.  To quell my rage and seek advice,  I used to turn to parenting books for solace, guidance and reassurance.  But as I've grown older and lazier,  I have come to realise that reading books requires effort, proper lighting and two hands to hold the book- difficult to do with an aquarium-sized glass of Sauvignon Blanc in my left...and the classy box it dispenses from in my right.  So alas, I have come to rely on the ever-dependable and always hands-free reality television as my guide to becoming a better Mom.  More specifically, I am a disciple of everyone's favourite reproductive dynamos, the Duggars from good ol' Arkansas (as seen 24/7 on TLC).
First off, let's just take Jim-Bob Duggar right out of this discussion, because I think it is pretty obvious that apart from some great swimmers below the belt and the world's most awesome side-part, his contribution to a household with 19 kids is pretty weak.  But Michelle Duggar- holy crow!!  How does this lady survive daily life with all those kids and all those meals and all that laundry and after all those pregnancies...? To her I say, "Madame, you are amazing-  a true heroine of domesticity and childrearing...and also, I completely get why you only wear denim muumuus...because I know what my gut looks like after only three kids...two words: cottage cheese!"

A few days ago, I watched as Michelle, my heroine, wrangled her litter of J-named tots, tykes, tweens and teens into a van so ridiculously large, it could legally be considered a locomotive.  As the camera zoomed in on the clean, neatly-combed and smiling faces of all 19 kids, eagerly hopping aboard,  I flashedback to my most recent trip to a local Tim Hortons for an extra-large double-double and three Timbits.  The boarding of my bus, was not as smooth.  There I sat in the driver's seat, honking impatiently in the confines of my hot, smelly garage whilst my three non J-named spawns crammed through the door fighting over who was going to sit where.  Yelling, pushing, shoeless, bed-headed... What's her secret?  She makes it look so easy!!

This past Tuesday, I thought it would be pretty neat if I channeled my inner-Michelle and really tried to become her- in the physical sense.  Just maybe, the parenting prophecies that she preaches would come more naturally to me if I looked the part.  Now as you know, Michelle Duggar does not wear makeup.  As you may also know, I have never (and I mean NEVER) NOT worn makeup.  I put on extra makeup in labour so that my baby birth pics would look good.  So I knew that this first part of the transformation was going to be tough. But as luck would have it, I was getting a facial at the local spa once the kids got on the bus (sorry- not doing the home-schooling- no way!) so that could be my fresh start from there.  At 11am, cleansed, pores exposed to the world, my facial skin made its debut in town as I drove home, visor flipped down and oversized sunglasses shielding my insecurities from the world (or more like the six random strangers my van passed on my route home).  Once back on the homestead I thought, "What next?  What would Michelle do after her facial?" It is then that I went upstairs to search for some homemade, loose-fitting, unflattering jean dress with built-in dickie for added modesty.  The closest thing I could find was a factory-made pair of designer denim jeans and a form-fitting top, for those with no modesty.  As I quickly dusted my face with mineral makeup I thought, "Wow- this assignment is tough".  But come on, how can one's appearance alter their parenting?  The secret I realised must be in her sweet-as-sugar, soft, whispery voice.  She never raises her voice- ever!  She's always talking as if she's just kissed a baby..and chances are, she has.  When the kids arrived off the bus, I greeted them with just such a voice.  "Welcome home my darlings," I whispered with a smile as they completely ignored me and barged through the door, pillaging the cupboards for food. 

Well, I'm no quitter!  Tomorrow is another day for TV, wine and more Michelle!  If she can make it look easy, well then...what the heck's wrong with the rest of us?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Lipstick and hockey sticks: A girly Mom's guide to faking your way through kids hockey season

It's not easy being a skirt in a home chalk-full of rancid jocks.  But I've managed to get by.  You see, as the lone double X in a chromosomal pool of 4 XYs (5 if I include the dog), my interests in home decor, Fall fashions, beach-wave hair and pedis get buried somewhere underneath a pile of mismatched tube-socks, baseball gloves, goalie pads and Under Armour everything.  Don't get me wrong, I love being active.  I'm a daily exerciser, I enjoy 9-holes of golf and just finished up another summer season on a ladies ball-hockey team - and I literally still have no idea what the rules are (icing to me means confectioners sugar, butter and milk). I do my best at faking my way through "sporty" - just as Brittany Spears fakes her way through "talented" and "singing".  Pretending to love sports gives me a valid excuse to get out of the house for an hour each week to pursue an activity that my kids might actually care to inquire about.  "