Skip to main content

Arena readiness 101: A parents guide to surviving minor hockey (and other chilly sports)


315 long, cold, endless, bum-numbing hours.  

From September to March, each year, it's the same routine, every day of the week and most weekends: load up the gear, get in the car, drive, drive some more, keep driving, arrive at arena early, sit, wait, watch, freeze, cheer, freeze some more, load up gear, get in car, drive, drive and drive some more.  Then repeat.

Yes, this is life in Canada as a rep hockey parent, and I am not alone.  If you add up the parents of kids in house league hockey, rep hockey, figure skating, speed skating, skating lessons, curling and other ice sports, hundreds of thousands of Canadian parents are doing much of the same - essentially freezing their baguettes off for what can amount to (in my case) 315 hours, 13 entire days of one's life spent in an arena (not including playoffs and tryouts and summer camps).  And it is awesome!!!

If you're spending approximately 11.25 passive hours per week in a vast, steel, fluorescent-lit meat-locker desperately searching for cell phone coverage, scarfing a Jamaican patty purchased from a heated concession carousel, let me help you.  This is an intervention.  I'm here to not only tell you that there is a way to survive this dreary parenting fate,  there's a way to thrive in an arena setting!!!

Here are some tips and tricks that every parent (or spectator, carpooler, angry-tag-along-sibling, relative and friend) needs to know in order to make the best of what I like to call, Canada's 5th season.
It's that time again...

GET PREPARED:
You've been there - 20 minutes from home, at the arena, racing frantically and rooting around a smelly equipment bag with junior in the locker room searching for ______(fill in the blank) and you know darn well in the pit of your stomach that said-missing-item is sitting on the floor in your front hall. That's why savvy parents always keep an S.O.S. bag in the car, for those "uh oh" moments.  Canadian Tire sells all sorts of neat items that will save the day on more than one occasion (if not yours, then another parent/child's!).  Keep a bag stocked with a hand-held skate sharpener, extra skate laces, hockey tape (which can MacGyver you in and out of many situations!), a repair kit for helmets, extra hockey socks and neck guard (these items are almost always missing from someone's bag).

GET WARM:
My grandmother used to warn that sitting on a cold bench would give you haemorrhoids.  And while there's no scientific research to support that claim, I can assure you that "numb-bum" is a very real, very uncomfortable condition affecting all spectators sitting on metal bleachers in ice-cold arenas.  But there is a cure.  Have a grab-n-go arena bag in your car at all times that you can count on for comfort.  Stock it with a large fleece blanket (preferably in team colours!), a large insulated mug (you will be consuming a ton of hot liquids - I bring my own box of peppermint teabags), toe-warmers, hand-warmers (Zippo Hand Warmer is amazing or you can have those throw-aways), fluffy mitts, and a warm scarf to kill the chill from the refrigeration unit that inevitably ends up blasting directly onto the back of your neck.  You can even buy seat-warmers - a soft microwaveable cushion to keep your tookus toasty.

Forget fashion.  Arenas are no place for trends and coiffed tresses.  Get yourself to Sportchek and snag some ultra warm boots (Sorel, North Face), some knit pants for her (Under Armour), a fleece hoodie and gloves for him (Nike Tech Fleece Hero Hoodie $210.00, Under Armour ColdGear gloves, $29.99) and hunker down against the cold. Some arenas have button-activated, gas-powered overhead heating units for "spectator comfort".  However, I think that they are engineered to function the same way as crosswalk buttons (i.e., they don't function, but it sure is fun hammering the button endlessly while trying to quell your inner rage).

GET CONNECTED:
So now that you've got 13 days of your life to kill in an arena, might as well make it productive, right?  Wrong - most arenas are so chock-full of metal bits, beams and roofing that even the smartest of smartphones will fail to carry any signal whatsoever.  Plus, many phones with a metal casing will often just run dry of battery power trying to maintain warmth.  What's a social-networking butterfly to do?  First off, find a hot-spot - likely the lobby, parking lot or huddled in your car.  Resign yourself to the fact that you may have to (gulp) disconnect from technology for the next 1-2 hours. If that thought terrifies you more than a slimy mouth-guard covered in black-fuzz, make your way to the rec centre's reception area and inquire about free Wi-Fi, or parent-lounges (yes, these do exist in some ultra-modern, wonderfully rare arenas!! Like unicorns, I want to believe in them but I've never actually seen one for myself).

GET ACTIVE:
If sitting on your duff endlessly just isn't your cup of peppermint tea, then why not make the most of your hours at the arena and get fit?  I recently purchased a Nike Fitbit, laced up my sneakers and walked laps of the arena while my son did his team practice.  Not only did I log 10,000 coveted steps, but I also got a bit of sweat going too.  Some arenas also have full gyms connected to them (as part of a community centre).  See if they offer a daily or hourly guest pass, or ask other parents on your team if they'd like to join you for a 30-minute walk outside.  How much better would you feel knowing that you and your kid are getting exercise?  Sometimes I get a full cardio and weight-training workout just hauling my son's 70 pound goalie bag around a parking lot aimlessly when I've forgotten where I parked the car!  You should try it!

Parents of kids who play arena sports, we're in this together!  I would love to know what your survival tips are so please share them with me on Twitter @KasieSavage

Catch my segment on CTV's Canada AM: Wednesday, November 4th at 8:40am!
Click here to watch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Faking it: The real deal on this "Lifestyle Expert"

"FAKE IT 'TIL YOU MAKE IT!" I've made a successful career out of faking it - and you can too!  After all these years, I just can't hide the surprise on my face when people comment on how I manage to be so "talented at things".  Truth is, I'm mediocre.  At best.  Always have been, always will be.  I have no true talents - can't sing, can't dance, can't change a tire, can't really cook, can't waterski, can't skate, can't get organized... But I sure can make it look like I've got legit skills - thanks to some hacks and fake-outs I've learned along the way! Even this blog as you'll notice is called, " Almost Mother Of The Year" - I'm not even going to pretend that I'm a fabulous Mom - and yet I give off the impression that I've got this parenting thing nailed down - tight!  When you meet my kids in real life -  the mismatched socks, bed-head, faint trace of non-localized b.o. and