Skip to main content

Name changer: My life as Cassie.


38 years ago, my young hopeful parents Louise and Leslie felt confident that their soon-to-be bundle of joy (me) was  going to be a bouncing baby boy!  Oh the joy!  You see, there were already two little girl cousins in the family and the grandparents all had their fingers and toes crossed hoping for their first grandson!!!  The crib was assembled and the name was picked - Casey.  His name would be Casey.

And then on August 17th, 1977 at 8:42am, the words "it's a girl!" changed everything...or at least the spelling of my name.  In the moments following the birth of a daughter and not a son, my parents decided to keep the name Casey, but change the spelling to what they thought looked girlier: K-A-S-I-E.  And the rest is just a gong-show of mispronounced misery (for me).


Look at my face: "Really?  Kasie?  Nobody can pronounce that Mom!"  

To this day, I actually dread handing over my I.D. to people, or seeing people read my name aloud from print.  I can feel the exhausting ball of tension forming in my gut while getting my canned correction ready, the one I've uttered at least a billion times: "It's actually Kasie - like Katie with an "s"...rhymes with Stacey, Tracy...."  Then they usually apologize, nod and say, "sorry about that Cassie".  Oh for the love of sanity, why could I not have been C-a-s-e-y?

I can still see the uncertainty and confusion in the polite faces of teachers, every first-day-of-school as they paused in the alphabetical roll-call, processing the unfamiliar spelling and playing mental eenie-meenie-minie-moe with their options, slowly opening their mouths and taking a gamble on whatever came out.  Occasionally the knot of name-dread would give way to sheer joy as the rare teacher actually got it right the first time!  Nobody named Jeff or Sue will ever know the relief you feel as an oddly-named child when someone calls out your moniker and nails the pronunciation, thereby avoiding the red-faced attention that comes from a verbal flub-up.

As an adult, it has not gotten any better.  Especially given that I appear on television regularly.  Instead of working quietly in a cubicle somewhere, minding my own name-woes, I have the pleasure of hearing my name mis-pronounced in front of tens-of-millions in the U.S. and Canada.  I actually find it amusing that Americans 100% of the time never say my name correctly versus 50% of Canadians. That's a little name trivia for you right there!   I actually like to think that I go by a stage name south of the border - it's "Cassie", spelled K-a-s-i-e!!!

One of my son's former hockey coaches has spent almost 4 years scrambling to recall the correct way to say my name, to the point where he defaults to Mrs. Savage.  He laughs.  I sigh.

Casey, in its correct form, is clearly still a very popular name in Canada - most notably amongst short-haired, large breed dogs.  Seriously, there are two canine Caseys on my street alone.  I was once reprimanded by an angry old man at an outdoor wedding - told to "get outta here you louse", "go home", "get lost".  Turns out that "Casey" was a senile German Shepherd that had wandered over from next door.  My husband laughed.  I signed.
The neighbourhood dogs from L to R: Casey, Casey, Casey, Casey, Rufus, Casey, Casey, Muffins


Would I change my name if I could turn back time?  Not a chance!!  It's me.  It's all I know. Would I change the spelling?  Hellz ya!  For sure!  Of course!  I've always thought K-h-a-y-s-e-e had a very nice look to it...the H is silent..like me after a botched roll call in grade 2.

Do you have a name that gets butchered?  Is this the first time you realize that my name isn't Cassie?  Is your name actually Cassie?  (If so, I hate you.  Kidding!)  Let me know!  Share!  It's like therapy...but cheaper and much less effective!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Day: Our one day off and we still end up working

One of my absolute favourite Mother's Day cards can be found on the internet - it shows a woman applying to "Motherhood Inc." and she's reading through the employment contract - "One vacation day a year?!  That's all I get?!" she proclaims.  "We call it Mother's Day but technically you still have to work" says the interviewer.  So true. Every card a Mom gets on Mother's Day preaches the same utopic nonsense - advising Moms to "relax", "kick back", "pamper yourself"...  These cards are typically all written by men.  Have you ever noticed that men have no problem treating themselves to a full day with legs up, beverage in hand and mind empty of thoughts?  They don't even need it to be Father's Day!  It can just be any ol' Wednesday....sadly sometimes, the occasional deadbeat Dad will try and pull this stunt on Mother's Day - not cool.  Men are intrinsically wired to "unwind and chil

The Hottest Hire: Moms!

How staying at home to raise my kids lead to  more  work opportunities and the confidence to take them on. It's one of the biggest issues facing new Moms - the question of whether to put off a career in order to stay home raising our babies full-time, or whether to go back to work and focus on advancing our careers while we can. Historically, there's always been this perception that leaving the workforce during our prime earning years will severely hamstring our earning potential and career options later on. It's one of the most intensely difficult decisions women make - and is based on an outdated premise that one cannot start a robust, exciting, fulfilling and high-earning career at any stage in our lives. I remember feeling the intense scrutiny and judgment of working Moms when I opted to be a stay-at-home parent in those early years of my kids lives (I have three boys). There was an underlying assumption that I had chosen cookie baking, daytime television watch

Lipstick and hockey sticks: A girly Mom's guide to faking your way through kids hockey season

It's not easy being a skirt in a home chalk-full of rancid jocks.  But I've managed to get by.  You see, as the lone double X in a chromosomal pool of 4 XYs (5 if I include the dog), my interests in home decor, Fall fashions, beach-wave hair and pedis get buried somewhere underneath a pile of mismatched tube-socks, baseball gloves, goalie pads and Under Armour everything.  Don't get me wrong, I love being active.  I'm a daily exerciser, I enjoy 9-holes of golf and just finished up another summer season on a ladies ball-hockey team - and I literally still have no idea what the rules are (icing to me means confectioners sugar, butter and milk). I do my best at faking my way through "sporty" - just as Brittany Spears fakes her way through "talented" and "singing".  Pretending to love sports gives me a valid excuse to get out of the house for an hour each week to pursue an activity that my kids might actually care to inquire about.  "